About Me

MD, United States
Bienvenidos and welcome to my blog! :) Join me as I journey through dating, dissertation, and househunting, along with whatever else may come my way. As every story has a villain, allow me to also introduce to you Sapphire (my mother's cat and arch-nemesis) and speed-cameras. I hope you enjoy.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome to Cairo!

For those who don't know, I am currently in Cairo, Egypt, visiting my friend, Amy, for 2 weeks.  A lot of friends and family were a little nervous about me going, so I've decided to use my blog to alleviate their concerns.  For the next week and half, get ready to share my life in Cairo. 

First off.  I am still alive. 

And YAYYYYYYYYY!   I'm visiting with my friend I haven't seen in 2 years and it is wonderful!  Skype doesn't compare, though I do appreciate it as the next best thing.

Amy lives in a gated community and works for the university. So she was able to send a driver, complete with my name on a sign, to help me through customs and to get me to the house.  Because I don't read Arabic, and surprisingly, English is hard to find even before you leave customs.    So I get through customs fine, complete with my tourist visa stamped, my money hidden in places I can't reveal to you online, and I see my name.  Thank goodness, because no one speaks English. 

Andddd that includes my driver. 

I see my name, relieved, and hurry over with a smile.  "Charlotte?"  he asks, and I nod and hold out my hand to shake.  "Yes!" Yes, I am.  Nice to meet you!" 
Awkward pause.  Oh yeah, I forgot this is a Muslim country, and isn't there a law about women touching men?   I knew I should have read Sue and Sue before I got here. 

But I didn't and after the pause he shook my hand lightly.   I am so busy castigating myself for being so culturally insensitive that we are almost to the door when I realize- I don't know this man's name.

"Whats your name"  I ask.

He nods, and says, ".......... Welcome to Cairo."

Stumped, I ponder this as we walk outside.  What did he say?  Its in the bright sunlight that my suspicions flare.   How hard is it to steal a sign?  What do I know about this guy?  And where is Amy?

So I try to communicate again.  "Sooooooo, where are we meeting Amy?"  I ask casually.

He smiles and bobs his head.  "Sorry, no English." 

Sorry no English!?!?!?  Now my sensors are going off.  I can't get into the car with this man, cause if something happens to me, I'll never hear the end of it.   All I could hear was my mother saying, "Let me get this straight.  The man spoke no English.

Right.

Had no idea who Amy was.

Right.

And couldn't tell you where you were going.

Right.   (Did I mention when I gave him the address Amy had given me he looked confused?)

And you got in the car with him anyway?

Right.

Wrong.  I was not gonna not have that conversation with my momma. 

Obviously since I am still alive and at my computer in Amy's house I made it safely.  How, you ask?  Well, palms sweaty, I mimed a phone and asked if I could call Amy.   He took out his phone questioningly and I shook my head yes, and he showed me the sign with some Arabic on it.  It was just my luck that Arabic numbers are different as well.  But I said yes anyway.   All that mattered was that whatever he called the number better be Amy, or me and my bags were going back into the airport.  To my relief, the Arabic scribble on the page changed into Amy's number on the phone, and to my extra relief she answered immediately. 

"Is this Amy?"  I asked when a woman answered the phone.  She said yes.
"You sent me a driver that doesn't speak English!"  I yelled in relief on the phone, as I released my death grip on my bags and finally allowed the driver to put them in the trunk. 

It turns out most drivers speak English from the university, it was just my luck that mine didn't. So to make a longer story shorter, I made it safely out of the airport to Amy's gated community, where she and Senica greeted me with open arms and warm heaters.

Did I mention it is cold in Egypt? 

1 comment:

  1. Charlotte, I am so glad to hear from you! Glad you are safe and able to experience a wonderful journey! Happy New Year! Take care and I will continue to follow your journey! Love ya Chica!

    ReplyDelete